Make your own communion bread! With this simple recipe, you’ll have perfect communion bread for our Palm Sunday worship service. Use the video to go into the kitchen with Ellee to make these or use the recipe below (this isn’t Martha Stewart or Ina Garten, but Ellee – it will be hard to tell the difference).
Note: The recipe can be cut in half for 3 large flatbreads. If you make this Sunday morning, start around 10:00 and they will be nice and warm at 11:00 for worship! Any bread will work, so if you do not want to make this, just grab some regular bread or even crackers to celebrate communion.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 and ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP oil/butter/shortening (whatever you have)
- Mix dry ingredients together and add water; mix until the consistency of tacky pizza dough.
- Knead for a couple of minutes.
- Let rest in greased bowl for approximately 30 minutes.
- Divide into 6 pieces and roll out on floured surface very thin. (tortilla thickness)
- Heat Griddle.
- Cook each side until bubbles form and brown spots appear on griddle side. Flip and cook until golden brown.
- May be made ahead and frozen. Makes 6 flatbreads.
Some households do not have grape juice on hand. That’s okay. You can use any juice or drink, or even water this week for communion.